Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Saturday

This morning I awoke at 8:30 AM. I wanted to get up and get busy with cleaning, but I just couldn't. I was tired. Emily crawled in bed with us. About 20 minutes later Bradley came in and said, "Emily, are you finished with your dream yet?" Apparently Emily was prematurely awoken by her siblings and she crawled in bed with us to finish her enjoyable dream about going to Disneyland with Alvin and the Chipmunks. I would've wanted to finish that one too.
We actually got up at 9 AM and cleaned our bedroom. Unfortunatley our bedroom is located beside the laundry room and it always collects stray laundry and piles of clothes that either need to be retired, stored away or ironed. It's annoying.

We ate breakfast at about 10 AM after the kids complained that they were starving. It was cold cereal and an extra special treat of Barbie cereal that Wendy picked out at the grocery store last week.

Then we went outside to quickly water the plants before our 1 hour Saturday speed cleaning. It turned out to be not so quick as we got involved with weeding and murdering Japenese Beetles that are pestering and eating our garden. We are officially not organic gardeners anymore. My husband very much enjoys chasing around the yard squirting beetles with liquid Sevin and watching them die, especially the mating ones because the possibility of any future beetles is also destroyed. I harvested 4 strawberries and admired my first sunflower bloom.

They're small, but pretty.

Not quite the "Mammoth" bloom I had in mind, but I'll take it.

I finally went inside to do our team's chore of cleaning bathrooms. I finally cleaned all the toilets that were accumalating nasty mildew rings in the bowl. I also cleaned out the clogged drain in one of the master sinks that's been clogged for the past year because I washed a bunch of hair down it after a child's haircut. That was nasty but successful. Now the sink doesn't take 5 minutes to drain.

We ate the typical lunch of tuna fish, crackers and cheese. Jason went down for a nap.

Emily was the lucky one to accompany me on my errands. We went to Whole Foods to get some special paraben free soap for poor eczematic Sarah. Her skin is a mess and we deperately need to fix it. I'm not typically an "organic" person, but this soap was recommended. Then we went to Walmart to check to see if they had more fabric for the dresses. They didn't. It seems that they are phasing out their fabric department. That is very sad because our town does not have any good fabric stores. Then we went to my not so favorite grocery store only because they have my laundry detergent on sale. I bought a 5 month supply to add to my 6 month supply.

Emily had a great time using the self check out. Then we went to the car wash to vacuum the car. It was so messy it took 2 times and $2 to get it all vacuumed. I vacuumed like mad to get my money's worth. Finally we went to Walmart to grocery shop. We both enjoyed a nice vanilla ice cream cone from McDonalds. I stocked up on some staples such as oatmeal, grits, flour and beans. A lot of times a checker will ask me if I am having a party when I purchase food in bulk. But today as she scanned my two 20 pound bags of pinto beans the checker said, "Do you run an orphanage?" I looked at her trying to process the question to make sure I heard it right. I determined that I did and I explained that I like to store food for emergencies. She thought that was cool.

We came home, unloaded groceries, ate hot dogs for dinner and went to the pool.

Going in style. Sarah wears those boots with everything.

It was fun. We came home, ate a bite of cookie dough (Tollhouse), and bathed. Sarah was excited to take her own bath with her "special" soap. Bradley got a hair cut so he no longer looks like he is wearing a helmet and the kids went to bed.

Phew! What a day! I'm looking forward to a day of rest.


  1. you are such a nice mom! i'm convinced that South Carolina has more hours in the day than Utah! You amaze me! btw, what time is bedtime? is it different in the summer? Lately Winni has been pushing it to 11 and I'm about to lose my mind!!!

  2. Bedtime routine starts at 7:30. We don't change much in summer, but it always seems to be pushed back a little bit on Saturday nights. My kids are always up late talking, playing,and reading. It's 10:30 right now and I can still hear them. As long as they don't bother me, I'm ok with them staying up because I would lose my mind as well.